Sunday, October 10, 2010


I'm still here!

I've just been busy traveling for work, traveling for fun/family and being domestical.

Aside from racking up frequent flyer miles, I finally made one set (two panels) of curtains using that fun brown and creme-colored print fabric I bought a while back. (And oh, Erica and Julia, Hancock Fabrics never contacted me after I filed my detailed and mostly polite complaint...)

Fabric from

Note to self: buy a new ironing board pad. Yours is looking a little sketchy.

The bedroom. As you can see, it's rather neutral and plain, so I wasn't afraid to use a bolder pattern in the curtains. And brown and cream go well with the light celery walls.

About these drapes:
  • I used a liner/backing material for the first time. This helps block out more sunlight but creates a little more work when hemming. With the first panel, I tried to do lose running stitches between the two fabrics to hold them together. That didn't work so well... I used pins for the second panel and that worked much better.
  • Fabric is by Waverly and feels very durable/substantial. And it arrived in less than a week (double points!).
  • I didn't do it purposely, but using a geometric pattern made cutting and measuring easier than if I'd used a solid print. I could pick a line and follow it across
  • For consistency (okay, I admit it... laziness and lack of sewing skills), I used the O-rings with curtain clips again for these. The alternative was creating tabs or folding over the fabric so the rod would slip in. Unfortunately the rings I bought didn't match the curtain rod/hardware so I spray painted them with a metal-friendly spray paint (Rustoleum, I think, from Home Depot).
  • Overall, I'm happy with how they turned out. Scratch that — how they've turned out so far. I still have two more panels to make.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Boooo hisss Hancock.