Monday, August 25, 2008

Greek Yogurt: I'm a Believer


Referencing Kate in my previous post reminded me that I tried a trick she suggested to me—and I forgot to report my findings to her!

I am self admitting sour cream addict. I can find more ways than most to eat it, ranging from traditional Mexican and Japanese stir fry to chicken poppy seed casserole and homemade salad dressings. 

Kate suggested that I try Greek yogurt. If my memory serves me correctly, she described her love affair as borderline obsession. Well, I picked up some Greek yogurt about three months ago and never got around to eating it with so much perfectly good sour cream still in the refrigerator. I threw it out because its expiration date came around before I got around to eating. 

Well, I gave the stuff another shot recently. I don't know why I'd been too timid to crack open the container; I've always been a big yogurt fan—though usually in the vanilla variety. So last week, when I made chicken, red and  yellow pepper, onion and portobello mushroom teriyaki stir fry, I gave it a try. 

I'm here to tell you, I didn't feel like I was missing a thing by eating this Greek-style yogurt instead of sour cream. The sexy food accessory was still tangy, mildly sour and creamy just like the sour cream I've grown to know and love. And with 150 calories in the entire seven-ounce container (versus 40 calories in just a typical two-tablespoon serving of even light sour cream, about twice that much in the regular plastic tub), my pre-wedding dress body should be grateful. It does need all the help it can get!

The variety I picked up at the Your DeKalb Farmer's Market is Fage Total 2% kind. Check out the nutrition facts here

3 comments:

Mego said...

funny i had this at kyma a few weeks ago and it is really delicious.

Unknown said...

Yogurt makes a good brine/marinade base for chicken. I throw the bottled indian curry bases in with a couple ladles of yogurt into a ziplock bag of chicken breasts and onions. Let those sit a couple hours or over night and then bake 30-40mins and finish under the broiler (5mins). Bam! Basically that technique works for anything veggies and/or meats.

K_Streams_Her_C said...

You know, thank you for writing that. I considered throwing some into a chicken marinade yesterday and wasn't sure how it would react to the heat of the oven. Next time, sir. Next time.