Thursday, February 28, 2008

One delicious fruit


I am not usually the recipient of many Christmas holiday vendor gifts; however, this past Christmas, our talented annual report creative management agency sent me a box of Harry and David pears. I was reluctant to pick one up but did so nonetheless. I rinsed it off and brought it back to my office. I looked at it for a few minutes and decided that while I am not so much of an apple fan, this decadent fruit was worth a shot.


To my amazement, the pear was a bundle of sweet, crunchy, soft and fruity deliciousness. I immediately regretted that I'd left the rest of the box in the break room for my department's consumption. I wouldn't be surprised if accidental moans and groan of taste sensory pleasure were creeping out of my office into the hallway.


After months of thinking about how delicious that pear was, I decided to pick up a few at the Your DeKalb Farmer's Market. I picked up two each of two varieties, one being a Bradford and the other a Bosc pear. (Note how the Wikipedia entry calls the Bosc pear the "aristocrat of pears." Doesn't that say it all?) The Bosc was the first one I tried. I'm 99 percent sure this is the variety used in Harry and David gift baskets.


I couldn't bring myself to eat one of the Bradfords after Dan consumed the one other Bosc I'd bought. I took one bite and it just wasn't the same. I'll be picking up more upon my next visit to the farmer's market.


I can't help it if I have aristocratic taste.

No comments: