Happy Holidays, blogland!
I haven't taken a photo of everything totally unpacked, but here's where we're camped out for now:
(Photo taken the day we moved in)
We're enjoying our adventure in the Virginia-Highlands. We found a one bedroom, one bathroom (with a sunroom) in an older apartment building. I.e., it was built in the 1930s and has lots of old "charm." Dan has given the place a pretty good makeover already, installing some practical items (extra rods in the closets, a coat rack, a key rack, etc.). I would like to say I handled most of the cleaning and unpacking... but Dan did the serious chunk of that, too.
Beyond the fun location (walking distance from Harry and Sons, American Roadhouse, Hand-N-Hand and Surin of Thailand - SCORE!), the other great thing about this place is that we didn't have to sign a traditional lease. We can be out when we find "the" house... whether that's in two months or five months.
So, to keep things consistent with my house hunting posts, pros and cons about the a-p-t:
- Killer locale (proximity to shops, restaurants, bars and an overall walkable and bustling area
- Affordable rent
- Bigger than a traditional one bedroom
- Didn't have to sign a traditional lease
- Includes water, trash and heat
- Slightly worse commutes for both me and the hubs
- Roxxi's knee surgery seems to have slowed recovery due to now having to walk up and down the stairs
- Dan = the dishwasher (i.e., we don't have one)
- No washer and dryer in our unit (but at least there are shared ones in the basement)
- Aesthetically, the place could use a little help