Friday, April 16, 2010

My MARTA morning...

7:55 - realize it's really time to get boogying; have not yet put on makeup - whoops!

8:00 - leave for Marta with purse, book, coffee

8:06 - arrive; buy $4 ticket

8:12 - 8:10 train arrives

See that quite a few people in my neighborhood either walk to this station or park (free).

It's almost standing room only.

The train doesn't seem to have AC. I'm wearing a skirt and short sleeves but still have a little "glistening" action going on.

Observing more white collar professionals on this ride compared to when I go to the airport. Man to my left appears to be studying and making notes on a building plan splayed across his lap. Woman to my right looks like she's reviewing a meeting agenda.

Lots of people get off at the GA State station. I make a note to self that we ought to market our proximity to Marta when we list our in-law suite/apt on Craigslist.

8:21 - we arrive at Five Points; time to change trains

8:21 and 30 seconds - Score! My connecting train is just about to pull away but it's doors are still open.

8:22 - train is so full I can barely find a place to stand. Wish I had put my makeup on at home or on the last train.

8:27 - enough people get off at the Civic Center (?) that I'm able to sit down.

8:29 - 8:31 - I get strange looks as I put on concealer, blush and bronzer. Sure natural light is best for applying makeup - but being underground on a transit train while applying can't have THAT different of results. I decide to wait until i get to the office to do eyeshadow and eyeliner.

8:37 - we arrive at the Buckhead station. My train car is now about half full.

8:40 - maybe I do have time to put on eye shadow and eyeliner afterall.

Two girls are talking across the train about their latest love conquests. The girl in the red shirt doesn't believe the boy she met the other night actually owns his own place. She thinks it's his mama's place. This is mildly amusing.

8:43 - whoops. Almost miss my stop: exit the train

Walk across the parking lot, thinking this wasn't so bad afterall. Grateful I didn't have to take a bus to or from the stations

8:49 - walk into my building, realizing my Marta commute time today is equal to my car commute yesterday.

8: 50 - gaze at my reflection in the in the mirrored elevator doors; hair is frizzier than usual but the trip was worth it.

Next up: the ride home...

6 comments:

The Orkins said...

You have inspired me to start taking the train again...I still have a bunch of rides left on my Breeze card from last summer. I don't leave for work as early as you, but maybe I will catch you one afternoon on the ride home. Now I just need a good book to read while en route.

Oh, and I think you need to join the Decatur Strategic Planning meetings. They just kicked off last night and you still have about a week to sign up if you are interested...just 3 meetings - sign up for Thursday nights. You spend enough time in the city that you should participate and your opinions should be heard...everyone is doing it...

Kate said...

public transit is so hot right now katy beck!

was the trip enough of a success (despite the frizzy hair) to make it more of a regular thing?

Kb_Mal said...

Naomi, the train is so hip, especially for us eco-friendly Decaturites! :)

I will probably head home around 5:30 or 6.

Send me the info on the Decatur Strategic Planning meetings. You know I always have an opinion.

Kb_Mal said...

Kate, I probably had the shortest ride I'll have this morning (since I caught my connecting train right away). Even if it takes a little longer than driving, it's nice to not be driving (I can read or listen to music). I'll try and do it at least two days a week. I'm also going to explore carpooling with Dan some (he works 1/4 mile from my new office).

Traci said...

I would love to take MARTA to work (especially since I have to pay a lot for parking), but it's just not efficient from a time standpoint. I work approx. 6 miles from my house and it usually takes about 25 min. to drive. If I take MARTA, it's either two buses or a combination of one train and two buses. Either way, it's no less than 1 to 1.5 hours (and that's not even accounting for the fact that the buses are not usually going to be on time)!! The issue with MARTA as opposed to other public transportation systems is that all buses connect at train stations, so it's impossible to actually get around quickly using only buses - you have to go out of your way to some station to get on another bus (or at least I can't figure out any other way). I love the European system where you can jump on a bus at practically any location in most major cities and get almost anywhere you want to go, even pretty far outside the city. I don't think that Atlanta will ever get to that point unfortunately.

I've tried using the Cliff shuttles since I can get to Emory Midtown hospital and walk from there, but the overall walk then is about 2.5 miles, so not very viable when raining or really cold.

Sorry to go on a rant, but it really irks me that there are no better options for going just 6 miles within an urban area! :)

Kb_Mal said...

Traci, I totally understand the rant!

We LIVE super close to a train station and I now work nextdoor to a train station. If I had to walk a really long way or drive to station or take a bus, I don't think I could do MARTA. As you see in my post, it took me about 50 minutes to get to work on MARTA and that's being convenient to the train stations. I can't imagine if I were further away...

It's definitely frustrating. I wonder other cities with really big urban sprawl (like Atlanta) handle public transit.

I don't see things changing much either. I wonder if the belt line will eventually make a difference.